Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Connecticut

Q: can i quiet a title if i was awarded the property in a divorce but my ex wife quit claimed it to a third party?

i was awarded our marital property in a divorce but my ex wife quit claimed it to a third party. who thinks and feels they own the property but we both have a recorded deed? how can i quiet their title? or what course of action do i take

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: I would need more information to provide a good answer, for instance, when did your ex wife quit claim the property to the third party and under what circumstances. Furthermore, I am assuming you did not sign the quit claim deed to the third party. If not, then your wife may have only quit claimed her interest in the property, not yours. This would mean that you possibly own it jointly with the third party. However, the quit claim deed executed by your ex wife may have conveyed title to the third party, fraudulently. If so, you may be able to get a court to enter an order that the conveyance was fraudulent and therefore, void.

It's a complicated question that requires more information!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.