Rogers, AR asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I have found more information about fathers rights but what about mothers rights? Who have legal custody of the child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Is there something specific that you are wishing to decide regarding your child or something that you are wanting to preclude the child's father from doing? As a general rule, the custodial parent has decision making authority over the child, including where the child lives, where the child attends school, religious practices of the child, and medical treatment for the child. The non-custodial parent will generally have visitation rights and the right to be informed of the condition of the child, including medical and school. The non-custodial parent usually has the right to access the child's medical and school records as well.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.