Orlando, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Traveling abroad while waiting for 10 years green card?

Hello great lawyers,

I have received a letter I-797 saying that I got approved and the 10 years green card will be mailed to me within 60 days. But since the day I received that notice, I have not received anything else. I called to the USCIS they said that my card has not been producing. Also I went to the local office and asked for the passport stamp I-551 due to the need of school and the office gives me a 1 year stamp. The problem here is that I bought a ticket to travel outside the country for 1 month but I do not know will I be able to enter the country through the Border Custom or not and the country (VIETNAM) I visit would let me boarding or not? (Cuz I hold nothing beside the passport and the notice)

May I travel outside the States with that passport stamp and the notice?

Thank you Lawyers

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ileana M Rivera
Ileana M Rivera
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: If you have been approved for a ten-year green card, you have the approval notice, I-797 and you have a stamp I-551 on your passport from the local USCIS office, you should be able to travel without any problems. The CBP may give you a hard time for not having the plastic card, but if they look up your A# in the system, you should appear as a legal permanent resident. Therefore, you should are able to travel without problems.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.