Monroe Township, NJ asked in Criminal Law and Municipal Law for New Jersey

Q: What is the difference of being charged in municipal court in NJ vs being charged in Superior Court for $5200?

Theft by deception charge, Middlesex County, NJ. Thx for your answer. However, it is actually being heard in Municpal Court, NOT Superior Court. The charge is for the Amt. Stated. Why is it being heard in Municipal Court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: A very big difference in Municipal Court you're only subject up to 180 days in jail and up to a thousand-dollar fine. However the amount taken must have been under $200 to be in Municipal Court. Amounts taken over $200 and up to $500 is in Superior Court and subjects the offender to up to 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine. A third degree crime which you have is anything over $500 but under $75,000 which subjects the offender to three to five years in jail and a $15,000 fine or double the amount taken whichever is greater. In Superior Court you're much more likely to get jail time and a lot more of it due to the more serious nature of the case. Thus, make sure you get yourself a good lawyer to try to avoid a this. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation during normal business hours. I suggest that you call and set one up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.