Lincoln, NE asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: Looking for Plan C, as I am going to try Plan B Monday. Hot mess of a no fault abuse/neglect case that should not be.

Dec 31=1 yr case. Lots of details, very little action by public defender-1st issue. Online finding statutes/cases trying to educate myself. 2nd-2 cases all hearings same day same time. Literally didn't even realize 2nd case for 5/6 months.

Older son-behaviors applied for several programs during 2018, only thing I we qualified for was therapy. Did not help. Discovered he was sexually abusing siblings-I reported. Hotline denied, worked w/ CAC/therapist-got accepted, followed every detail of s.plan and above, he re-offended. Reported next day CAC-I refused to take home. We r guilty no fault abuse/neglect/he is guilty in juv. case-sexual abuse-guilty-on registry.

BS ER Order 4 lil kids vacated after 90 days, but retained custody. In hearing ordered last, only 2 min to Cross ex. So many errors I could've proven. Finally I can appeal, due process. If my atty refuses again, what can I do? no money. Terrified to ask judge/rarely granted. Perm hearing close, son n treatmnt

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Sometimes when a parent has done everything they can but a child is still not safe in their home, the Court will find the person guilty of no fault neglect so that the child can receive services. This is especially common when one child needs to be placed outside of the home as the siblings aren't safe living with that other sibling living in the home.

I'm not sure I understand your question due to all the abbreviations. In most civil actions, you have 30 days to file an appeal after a final order is entered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.