Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Nebraska on
Q: How do I find a pro bono lawyer to represent me for my son's case in homicide
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 18, 2021

He is entitled to a pro bono attorney through the public defender's office. At the first hearing, the Court will ask him if he can afford an attorney. If he says no, the Court will appoint him an attorney pro bono from the public defender's office.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Constitutional Law for Nebraska on
Q: So in this case, should the co defendant be able to suppress evidence also?
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 27, 2020

There are times when a motion to suppress is valid and is granted for one defendant but doesn't apply to a co-defendant. It depends on the overall facts.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Nebraska on
Q: if the person filing the partition appeals the sale of the property does the lawyer still get fees
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on May 19, 2020

The Court can order one party to pay another party's attorney fees and appeals court can change that decision on appeal. What is due between the attorney and the client depends on what is in the fee agreement between the client and attorney. Unless the agreement is for a contingent fee... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Child Custody for Nebraska on
Q: Looking for Plan C, as I am going to try Plan B Monday. Hot mess of a no fault abuse/neglect case that should not be.

Dec 31=1 yr case. Lots of details, very little action by public defender-1st issue. Online finding statutes/cases trying to educate myself. 2nd-2 cases all hearings same day same time. Literally didn't even realize 2nd case for 5/6 months.

Older son-behaviors applied for several... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Dec 9, 2019

Sometimes when a parent has done everything they can but a child is still not safe in their home, the Court will find the person guilty of no fault neglect so that the child can receive services. This is especially common when one child needs to be placed outside of the home as the siblings... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and Legal Malpractice for Nebraska on
Q: State gets continuance for cop and I was denied for same hearing?

I had suppression hearing and state got continuance 4 days before hearing because one of the witness troopers had vacation? Then blizzard happened day of and before hearing roads were nearly impassable and my witnesses were not able to make hearing and wasn't allowed continuance for them and... Read more »

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Apr 17, 2017

You should have had your attorney contact the court and it would have likely be continued.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Nebraska on
Q: motion for new trial

my attorney mixed up thre names of the victim and her mother several times during trial wich I feel confused the jurors and my lawyer seemed incompetent. is that enough to ask for new trial

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 26, 2015

You needed specifically tailored legal advice back in April.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.