Minneapolis, MN asked in DUI / DWI for Minnesota

Q: If I feel I was coeherced in taking a plea agreement can I take back that plea

I had a public defender, he got upset about going to trial, he started to tell me things about my case he said he knew as evidence, I believe he made up to scare me into taking the plea. So I did take the plea, but now regret it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Public defenders don't "make things up" to get people to take plea deals. They give honest advice on what they believe you should do in terms of taking an agreement or going to trial. It is then up to you decide how you want to move forward. You could certainly seek to withdraw your plea, but you do not have an absolutely right to withdraw your plea. It would be up to the judge to decide if he or she will let you do so. But then you are back to square one. So ultimately, you could go to trial, but you could come out with a worse outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.