South Jordan, UT asked in Tax Law for Montana

Q: This is going to be a real run on sentence but what if husband and wife are married filing jointly and the husband...

left his wife with a lot of tax debt that he lied to his wife about by saying he had paid it all off already, like 20 years ago, but really he just kept filing offer and compromise and bankruptcy but never went through with it anytime he did it and so the statute of limitations just kept pausing for about twenty years and never expired and he hid this from his mentally ill wife because he was a control freak then what can be done to make the wife only responsible for her share of the tax debt and not his share of it? This wife, a teacher’s aide, paid her taxes through payroll tax but the husband put his wife on his self employed business to save himself from paying extra money in taxes even though the wife was never involved with that business beyond having her name on the business because her husband wouldn’t stop telling her sign off on it quickly so he could send in his tax return and yet he didn’t bother to pay any of those taxes anyways?Innocent spouse was rebuked by the IRS.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: If you tried innocent spouse and do not have any appeals rights then the only thing that you can do is set up a collection alternative with the IRS. You need the assistance of a good tax lawyer. Most of us offer a free consultation and after speaking with you can offer you advice based on your financial situation. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.