New Paltz, NY asked in DUI / DWI for Massachusetts

Q: MA. license, 1st offense DWI in NY, have IID, attended Victim Panel, paid fines, need hardship license to work & medical

medical conditions. Need pro bono advice to apply but not sure if in NY state or MA. Help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dennis J. Nave Jr.
Dennis J. Nave Jr.
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Syracuse, NY

A: If your driving privileges are revoked in New York (because New York cannot revoke an out of state license, only privileges), you need to complete the NY Impaired Driver Program (or out of state equivalent) and request a conditional license from New York State to be able to drive in New York.

If you are living in Massachusetts and want to drive in New York in the future (as in you do not need to drive in NY right away), you can wait the 6 months and then reapply for full driving privileges in New York.

I would also suggest you talk to a Massachusetts lawyer to see if your home state will take any action on your license because of the out of state conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.