Claremont, NH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: I don’t believe I need a GAL that the court assigned...

The court is appointing a GAL and I can’t afford it, and I’m not sure I need one, we were never married/divorced..there is no issue with the bio dad he left and was never heard from until I contacted him regarding this, he has his life and I have mine we just want to terminate his rights and he is in agreement. We have already filed the termination of parental rights and I’ve had him served but they haven’t located him which they probably won’t. He isn’t going to show for the court date. After speaking with him he’s not opposed to terminating his rights, he just doesn’t want to do all the court hassle miss work...

So what happens if I pay $750 for this GAL and then bio no shows for our initial court date..I’m just out $750. No one is contesting the termination, there should be a easier way if both parties agree on something...this seems a bit much...thoughts

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Caulfield
Joseph Caulfield
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lyndeborough, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: The statute requires it.

File a motion & see if the court will ordere the state to pay the GAL.

I'm a GAL, as well as a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.