Richmond, TX asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Can a single mother living in TX move to Puerto rico if child has dads last name but no court order custody?

Can a single mother be acussed of kidnaping her own child if theres no court custody order in texas and wants to get away moving to Puerto rico without permission due to emotional abuse from father Constantly being threatned with taking child from her, and constantly recording her to create a case. She is terrified every single minute.Can she request custody in PUerto rico

1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: If there's no custody order at the moment and given some extraordinary situations, emotional abuse being one of those, you can travel to Puerto Rico with your kid and file for custody after 6 moths of living in here or request an emergency hearing where you can prove with legal assistance your reasons for fleeing. They will evaluate if they have the elements to grant temporary custody and the will give chance to let both parties present to the court their facts and proof that support their cases. Remember that this has to be proven in court. We have broad experience with this type of cases on both ends. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.