Upper Marlboro, MD asked in Education Law for Maryland

Q: If a public high school refuses to or neglects to conduct the pledge of allegiance each morning, what can be done?

It is a requirement according to state law (Maryland) and the county Administrative procedures. Is there a way to force the school system to follow these laws?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: I have not looked up the statute or regulations on this subject, but assuming your understanding of the law is correct, I would think directing your complaint to the Maryland State Department of Education would be the route to go, as well as possibly raising the issue with your local Maryland State Assembly members on both the State House and Senate sides. While you may have standing as a parent and citizen to bring a lawsuit in court to compel compliance, that seems an expensive exercise if the Department of Education can be recruited to bring the hammer down on the local Board of Education.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.