Powhatan, VA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Virginia

Q: I live in Hanover County VA and need to KNOW if I can legally by firearms have been given civil rights back??

The law about petitioning the court to do this is DIRECTLY against 2nd amendment and COSTLY to those not financial able. PLEASE HELP I do NOT want to BRAKE the law or get in trouble. The courts in HANOVER county are NOT exactly law abiding characters who uphold the law and don't care for the fact that I know things they are NOT doing lawfully against US citizens. ALL I want is to be able to LEGALLY carry a gun being my house and person is being threatened by individuals who DO NOT play by the same rules as citizens because I support OUR POTUS and have come under threats both physically and by phone. MY SON sleeps with a BB gun and knives for protection because I am in a pickle trying to figure this OUT. THE LAW says I have the RIGHT to keep and bare arms YET they are making it impossible.!!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You lost your rights when you received a felony in the state of Virginia. Nothing is absolute. You have to go through the petition process after your civil rights are restored by the governor. If you have had those rights restored, you petition the circuit court of the county/city where you live. There are lawyers who assist with restoration if you need more help. The filing fee for the petition is only about $100.00. You can attempt to do it yourself but its smartest to get legal assistance to help you through the process. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.