New Orleans, LA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: I’m here on a H-1B visa( under my husband) but want to divorce my husband. How do I go about doing so?

My husband has done everything to make sure I’m his puppet that just sits at home, it even gets physical. I’m trying to go stay with other family that’s out of the state I’m in but, he is threatening to report me to the company that we’re under with the h-1b visa with. Can he do that? I really need some help. He destroyed all my documents....I don’t even think I can fly anymore. We also have a son that I want to take with me but he won’t let me and I know he can fight back. I feel trapped and need some advice

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ashley E Lively
Ashley E Lively
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: You may be eligible for relief available for victims of crimes or protection under the Violence Against Women Act. I would encourage you to reach out to an immigration attorney immediately so they can help you with reproduction of your documents and your immigration status.

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: You need to contact an Immigration attorney who also advises on divorce matters as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.