Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Indiana

Q: Do I need a lawyer for my husband to adopt my daughter?

My husband of 9 years wants to adopts my daughter. Her biological dad hasn’t been involved since day 1. she’s 14 , he’s never paid child support and no order in place for it. They’ve never even met, except once when she was first born. He’s not listed on the birth certificate. Do I need him to terminate parental rights? And can I do this myself or do I need a lawyer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Greenwood, IN

A: Even in a situation like this, where it appears you have a lot of points going in your favor, the adoption process can still be quite complex. You would be well served to at least speak with an experienced attorney to get a thorough review of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.