Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Civil Litigation for Indiana

Q: What exactly is a Motion for Rule to Show Cause? I asked the Court to hold my soon to be ex-wife in Contempt of Court

My soon to be ex-wife wife was ordered by the Judge over the PO Hearing to return my personal property that she was refusing to return. Her parents were to drop it off at the end of my parents driveway and they did not do it. I wrote a letter to the Judge requesting that he hold them in Contempt of Court and I get served a paper from the Court informing me of a date for said Motion for Rule to Show Cause. It appears to me that it was distributed to her but I read online that it could mean that i have to show reason why they should be held in Contempt but I'm thinking it means she has to explain why she didn't obey the Judge's orders.

1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: There's not enough information in your question to say for sure what the document pertains to, but in general, a Motion for Rule to Show Cause is what is filed when one party is requesting that the court find another party in contempt for violation of an order. So, it could be that the court treated your letter as a "motion" and set a hearing date to address the issues you raised. It could also be possible that your ex filed her own motion for contempt. You'll need to read through the paperwork carefully. Also, you should consider speaking with an experienced family law attorney.

Hope that helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.