Willimantic, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My mom had a special needs trust she was allowed to use it for herself she bought a car that i drove bc she was handicap

The car was totalled and now thats she is gone the state wants to know where the money is no one has it bc it was spent on odds and ends for her as well as past car taxes the check did come in my name bc i was on there as a co owner just wondering what can happen and if i should get an attorny also im in ct

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew A. Wiley
Matthew A. Wiley
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Short answer is yes you should get an attorney. There are a lot of variables that can define what the next steps will be. Generally since the State of Connecticut is asking you questions that means you need to consider carefully answering their questions. It does not sound like you did anything wrong (though listing yourself as Co-owner was probably a mis-characterization). Going forward, making sure you correctly disclose the facts will be important to make sure that the matter is quickly closed without further aggravation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.