Fort Myers, FL asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My parents passed away 28 yrs ago. My siblings and I never claimed the house. How do we claim the house? Is it too late?

We went and saw the house several years ago and no one has lived in it since they passed away. It does however, have lots of damage. We live in the states and not in PR making it difficult to keep up with it. We would like to sell it. What are the steps, if it's not too late, to claim the house and be able to sell it?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Ramon  Olivencia
Ramon Olivencia
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You can still claim ownership but you should speed up since property taxes will accrue and you don´t want someone to occupy it since after a number of years they could later begin a process to transfer the title to their names.

Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. Yes you can claim your inheritance. You will need to do a Probate case for both parents. The process has a cost of $ 3,500.00 for both parents. If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly. Happy Holidays.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.