Tustin, CA asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: Do I have the right to get a public defender appointed to me on a first degree drug paraphernalia charge in state of AZ

I have no income and the Court would not give me a appointed attorney unless I pleaded guilty. but am pleading not guilty and now have a bench trial with no public defender for a first degree misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia/use in the pinal justice court my question is that am I being miss treated by the court or am I not qualified to a legal counsel defender?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If the Court is not going to give you jail time, they are not required to appoint counsel. Representation is only guaranteed where the defendant faces a "loss of liberty."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.