Ward, AR asked in Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: Do i have any rights to a child ive never seen or been around she will be 8 and im not on the birth certificate

The mothers soon to be ex husband wants custody of said child.. Because the mother ran off and left him with the child. And now the step father of child wants the "bio father" to sign rights off so he can adopt the child. Does the alleged bio father have any rights at all to sign off in the first place? Child was born and is living in mississippi..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Yes, even though bio father may not be on the birth certificate, he still has rights that he can pursue, which would in turn be superior to the stepdad. I would highly encourage you to reach out to a lawyer sooner rather than later, as these types of cases can get very nasty, very quickly. Feel free to reach out to any lawyer on here by clicking the contact information next to their name. Most lawyers, including myself, offer free consultations to see how we can help out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.