North Little Rock, AR asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I file a petition to change legal guardianship of my 17 year old to his grandparents. We are moving and he stay

He wants to stay with them to finish high school there. Is it process we can do ourselves through clerk or do we need to obtain a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • North Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You probably can achieve what you need with a power of attorney, as opposed to a guardianship. A POA can give the grandparents authority to make decisions for your son, such as school and medical. It is simpler and cheaper than a guardianship and won't require court action. I have POA for minor forms if you need them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.