Jayess, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: If an inmate was held 14 months with no charges and/or indictment denied bail for a hold that did not exist.

Was finally able to bail out 9/23/19 . Was indicated 10/28/19. Constitution says inmates have to be indicted within 180 day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: There are multiple issues presented in this scenario. First, I would be curious as to the underlying charges, since you are entitled to reasonable bail (unless it is a capital crime). The other issue is the one that you pointed out, which is that they have a certain time frame to bring your case to trial, otherwise it is presumptively prejudicial.

The biggest thing that you can do is contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer to discuss the facts and circumstances of your case. Most lawyers on here, including myself, offer free consultations to see how we can help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.