Sacramento, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Utah

Q: Would I be able to move out of state with my daughter?

I have full custody and he has standard visitation. I was wondering if I'd be able to move out of state with my daughter and what steps I'd need to take to do so? Can I move if I give him notice and have a parenting planning place for when I move or do I have to get approval from the court? Can they force me to stay in Utah?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Craig
Brian Craig
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Logan, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Utah Code section 30-3-37 governs relocation if the controlling decree does not address relocation.

At least 60 days before the planned move, the parent who plans to move more than 150 miles from the other parent must send the other parent a Notice of Relocation that tells the other parent about the upcoming move, how they propose parent time will work, and that they promise not to interfere with the other parent's parent time.

If the parents have joint physical custody, meaning the children stay at least 111 nights a year in the home of each parent, then a parent who wants to relocate must file a Petition to Modify Custody in addition to sending a Notice of Relocation. See Ross v. Ross, 2019 UT App 104 (Utah Ct. App. 2019).

Consider having a family law attorney review your divorce decree to determine if you need just a Notice of Relocation or need to file a petition with the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.