Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: Can an attorney file papers for a Motion to Set Aside for you for free if they were the original attorney?

I had a friend who wanted a conviction off his record. I went with him to speak to an attorney I recommended. At one point the attorney told my friend he could go back to the original attorney that represented him on the case that resulted in the conviction and that attorney would do the Motion to Set Aside for free. Is this true or did I somehow hear wrong? I need to set aside a conviction for a job and have limited funds.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shawn A Kollie
Shawn A Kollie
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Medford, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It is almost never free to set aside cases. It can cost anywhere from $700-$800 for the attorneys fees. Its a fairly simplistic process. You do not have to, and most folks do not go back to the original attorney who handled the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.