Granite City, IL asked in Civil Litigation for Missouri

Q: How do I ask the courts to remove a default judgement from 2006 in which the SOL has expired and it's not been revived?

The judgement is from a car accident where I hit a rental with no insurance. I didnt go to court so I got a default judgement. I have no idea what I owe and my drivers license has since been suspended. So this in return has cost me a lot of legal trouble. I'm supposed to be paying an attorney of which will not return my phone calls. I have no money to pay him. And I just feel like I am never going to live this down it's a nightmare.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: First, if your attorney won’t return your calls hire a different one, assuming you can pay.

Second, I’m not sure what you mean by “remove” the default judgment. If you seek to have it removed from appearing on Casenet, that is not likely to happen. If it was a default judgment but service of process was improper then you could pay an attorney to file a motion for relief from void judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.