Shepherdsville, KY asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Legal Malpractice for Kentucky

Q: Ex wanting me to give up on legality of home (both names) and I refuse. Can I fight?

2007, lost his job for failing a drug test. Had a few temp jobs for a few days, decided I could carry it all. I worked 2 jobs, paid everything until I got scared and left in 2012. He applied for disability. Got 20 grand lump and lost his mind. Taking my things, being verbally and emotionally abusive. Physically hit me twice. I left. He immediately moved someone else in. Started selling my daughters things. Asked me, initially (7ish years), to keep name on house. Refinancing would have forced him out as well. I got nothing, he had 3 cars, I got zero. He wiped out account, laughed. He is now married and using my personal things (books, jewelry, pictures of MY daughter, my birth certificate) as bribe to get me to sign quit claim deed. I refused. He involved a lawyer. PLEASE don't tell me he wins, because I was told they could have someone else sign in my stead. It can't be ike this...

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: Absolutely you can fight. If it was acquired during the marriage, it is half yours regardless of who’s name it is in.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.