San Francisco, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for Ohio

Q: Do I need a lawyer? Can I plead not guilty?

I was recently visiting Ohio, I am from California. I am 18 and have a permit but no license however my 20 year old brother who has a license was with me in the vehicle. I was stopped and have to show up to court in Ohio for driving at 101mph in a 70mph zone. The cop was using a lazer gun and when stopped I said I was in a rush. Do I need a lawyer? And can I plead not guilty or do I have to plead guilty.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Avery T. Young
Avery T. Young
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Given the excessive speed it would be in your best interest to consult with a lawyer. You do have the option to plead not guilty and your lawyer would then be able to advise you of your options from there.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.