Denton, TX asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: My son's mother is putting me on child support My son has lived with or been with me more! What should i do?

My son was 2 his mother and i agreed to call it off. He lived with her for a few months before living with me for years, up until kindergarten. He moved with his mom and his 3rd grade year came back to live with me. Including weekends, summer and holidays i have had my son more! I received notice of child support, she never shows to court, im told to not worry they cancelled her government benefits, then received notice again, 2 more times, and now i see i am supposed to pay 9 years back child support. I am in college and out of work, i am engaged and she is trying to ruin a good father, she has several kids and some she pays child support, then others the father has never been summoned for child support. I have no idea what to do? Can i have advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You’ve a lot going on. You should have hired a lawyer at 1st. Now, you’re going to have to probably be stuck with following the order in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.