Perry, GA asked in Child Custody and Education Law for Georgia

Q: Kinship affidavit versus PoA

My son is a 14 year old terror right now (stealing, lying, drugs, etc) I, his mother am married with 4 kids of my own. The oldest is 17, then the 14 yr old and a 4 & 3 year old. I have had to kick him out of my house because of unmentionable actions, that I am seeking residential treatment centers therapeutic school or even military school at an attempt to help him help himself, should he want the help. My question is a simple question that I hope merits a simple brother was the last of our family members that was willing to open his home to my son. With my son living at my brothers house, he will be in a new school district which means we will have to change addresses and school systems. However, my brother nor I want to change custody nor do we want to move guardianship to him. We simply want my son to live with him and he be responsible for his education and all the inter [arts of it whether academics or any sort pf activities. Would we be able to draw up a simple Power

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The circumstances of your case are unfortunate. In this case, temporary guardianship seems appropriate. Temporary Guardianship is usually filed in Probate Court; this will allow your brother to register your son for school in the district where he resides. It is best to contact an attorney who can assist you with the specifics of your case.

We are glad to assist you. Contact us whenever you are ready.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.