Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Georgia Education Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: Are you required to answer a teachers' question or could you refuse? Also, would they be allowed to punish for refusal?

Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 14, 2019

It could depend on the nature of the question. If the question is related to the class subject material, it is advisable to answer to the best of one's abilities.

Tim Akpinar

3 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Education Law and Family Law for Georgia on

Q: Can I enroll in high school at 18 or without a legal guardian?

I'm moving out of my mom's house because of financial reasons. She can no longer support me while I finish high school so I'm moving in with family friends that can. They are in a different county but same state (Georgia) Can I (or they) legally enroll me in the high school there because my mom... Read more »

Kim Ebert answered on Feb 25, 2019

The best source for an answer to this question and 1 that may be able to assist in any possible transition would be an appropriate official at the school, such as a counselor or administrative employee. The completion of a high school education is an extremely important step to success in life.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: A teacher at a school yelled in my daughter face and my daughter pushed the teacher now they are pressing charges what..

Do i do?? the report is wrong and i haven’t seen any evidence pretaining to the incident but we got a letter from the court stating that we have a appear in court pertaining to theses changes filed against my 11yr old daughter

David Edward Boyle answered on Jan 4, 2019

Your daughter's case for battery will be in juvenile court where she likely only faces probation even if she is convicted. A more pressing outcome is that she will likely be suspended from school for 10 days and then expelled under the school's zero tolerance program. I would strongly encourage... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Gov & Administrative Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Georgia on

Q: Where do I find Georgia regulations for education?

For example, 34 CFR 668.22 for federal regulations for education.

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 17, 2018

You google exactly as you have written there

Those are not Georgia

It is federal

CFR stands for Code of Federal Regulations

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: My son is 18 years old,the school is refusing to allow him to transfer himself after he moved.Please help

My sons guardian was my brother,who is having heart problems,my son now lives with me, since I did not enroll him,the school system of Forsyth County Ga, will not give my son his transcripts or me, so he can finish enrollment in another school,He has 3.5 GPA finishing 11th Grade only has 4credits... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV answered on Aug 15, 2018

Have you asked the school why they are withholding the transcripts? Start there to see what the problem is. Maybe he owes fines or needs to do something on that end before they release them. If they don't respond, try contacting the school district's main office to see if you can get assistance.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: Can I use my son's father's address for educational purposes only and still maintain primary custody?

My son's father recently moved here from Orlando. We both want him to be in a better school and never got what we wanted through the Choice Program or Administrative Placement. His residence is located in the district of our fourth and final choice. If I allow this to happen am I not only with... Read more »

P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Jun 26, 2018

This has more to do with the local school system than your court order. If the papers say you are the primary custodian, that is what they are going to go by. Notwithstanding this, if you lie and use his address, I think that if he were to modify it that this would give him some ammunition to say... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Education Law, Health Care Law and Small Claims for Georgia on

Q: Hello, I wanted to know if I could sue a daycare for my son getting lice and having to cut his hair off.

I have a 1 year old son who is in daycare. About 3 weeks ago my son had lice. I called the daycare and made them aware of the situation. My sons nurse informed me that he got the lice from another child in class when i called the daycare i asked had another child had lice. They informed me that... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on May 22, 2018

You would have to show they knew the other kid had lice. But yes, you could make a claim against them. However they may not be happy to have your youth in that daycare, so make alternate daycare plans. Contact a member of the Ga.Trial Lawyers Assn for your county--they give free consults.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Libel & Slander for Georgia on

Q: What to do when slanderd, restriction of education, assault

I’m in high school and theirs a ongoing investigation to see if I stole something or not. I did not steal the items I’m accused of. But my teacher is constantly telling students and other teachers that I’m a thief (isn’t that consistent slander?) because now people look at me differently.... Read more »

David Edward Boyle answered on May 16, 2018

You can file a law suit alleging slander. You will have to prove the teacher made an untrue statement and you suffered damages as a result. If you are in fact under investigation, that fact is true.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: Forced to withdraw child due to absences, medically related. District has sent letter about fine & jail. What do we do?

School is not zoned school. Recently obtained 504. She has a ongoing medical condition which is still not diagnosed properly. She has several dr appts and notes from all. She only misses school when sick. Child is not behind in work or grades. She is 5 and in kindergarten. We were sent a letter... Read more »

P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Feb 13, 2018

Bring the documents to an attorney to review with you. You may want to consider home school.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: Under The truancy law in GA, it states ages 6 to 16. Our child is 5 years old in Kindergaarten, would this still apply?

P. Justin Thrailkill answered on Feb 2, 2018

No, kindergarten is not mandatory. However, your child is ping ton fall behind if they don't go to school, sonic wouldn't recommend holding them out.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Criminal Law for Georgia on

Q: What happens if a 18 year old student beats up a 16 year old student out of school??

Forrest Clinton Barbour answered on Jan 31, 2018

Someone could be arrested for a multitude of charges.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: Can the school stop me from withdrawing my son?

I had an injunction against my sons father for domestic reasons. Was given tempoary time sharing because of my work schedule. He takes document to school to keep me from withdrawing son but he does not have custody. What do i need to do . i live in atlanta ga with my son and he is trying his... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards answered on Jan 23, 2018

No one is going to be able to answer that question without reviewing your court orders.


Regina I. Edwards is the Owner of Edwards Family Law.

Ms. Edwards has been practicing law since 2001. She has been voted by her...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Divorce and Child Custody for Georgia on

Q: If div parent in Georgia has the final say over education does that mean they school they go to if either parent moves?

Regina Irene Edwards answered on Nov 1, 2017

There is no way to answer this question without reviewing your specific parenting plan.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Education Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on

Q: My son's school is rejecting him because he needs a shot but he is currently too old for the shot.

I live in Georgia. My son's school is rejecting him because he is missing a DTap shot. My son was out of the country when he got he shot so it was not properly documented. He is 15 years old and his next shot is scheduled for next year. I have tried to explain this to the school but they still... Read more »

William Head answered on Aug 13, 2017

The school has the right to protect other students and teachers. Unless there is a laboratory test that can confirm he was inoculated, to get them to accept it, then you have no right to force this issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: As a teacher, can I sue the school for required work that physically and permanently hurt me?

Oct/2015, I was required to break up a fight as part of my job duty. Afterward, I thought I was having a panic attack. A few days later (after having new serious symptoms) I went to the Dr. & was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I just learned tonight in my medical billing class that events can... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2017

Contact a member of the Ga. Trial Lawyers Association that handles workers compensation. They give free consults. You can also check with your union. Injuries from a fight are covered. Problem with diabetes is last time I asked an expert (MD/Phd in Physiology) he said that anecdotally it's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Georgia on

Q: Dfcs tool my child because she was missing alot of school how can i get her back

Ellaretha Coleman answered on May 29, 2017

DFCS should put you on a case plan for reunification. Follow the case plan to exactly. Work on fixing the issues that resulted in your child missing school.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on

Q: I got a ticket for possession of alcohol on school grounds but I only had a bottle that smelled like beer

What can happen when I go to court? I'm on probation for reckless driving too

Kevin Shields answered on Apr 6, 2017

While you were at a school, this is more of a criminal law question and are likely being charged under your state's criminal code. Once your case goes to court, you can present whatever evidence you have during a trial. It may be helpful to contact a local criminal lawyer about your individual... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Education Law for Georgia on

Q: I am an elementary school administrator. I feel I have been harassed and bullied for several years by the same parent.

What can I do to make this parent stop harassing and bullying me? My county office is not providing assistance. I think this could be a race issue as well. I have documentation and witnesses. Her behaviors are affecting my job and my health.

Mitchell Feldman answered on Feb 12, 2017

These facts alone do not provide enough information for a lawyer to provide you direct legal advice. Certainly you should seek out the assistance of the school board, its counsel and HR department. In addition, then, you should seek legal advice and set up a consultation with an attorney, but I... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Education Law, Juvenile Law and Personal Injury for Georgia on

Q: can bus drivers enforce kids 2 wear backpacks on the front of their bodies so it's more convenient for them to check tag

gwinnett county bus drivers r making kids wear their backpacks in front in order to check tags on their backpacks to ensure they are getting off the right bus stop. however this is not safe for the kids who are in elementary school and have big backpacks and cause them to trip or miss a step (which... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 21, 2016

Not really a lawyer issue. Someone is saying the kids have to. That someone answers to a school board. The board is elected. Don't mourn, organize!

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.