Corvallis, OR asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Oregon

Q: Can I get arrested for going behind my moms back and hanging out with a guy my mom doesn’t like?

My mom banned me from hanging out with my best friend and she says if I do hang out with him, she’ll call the cops and have me arrested.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The police don't arrest people for associating with other people. It isn't a crime. However you can be taken into custody if there is some other reason, ie a law you are violating. Frankly, if your mom wants you to avoid someone assume she has a good reason for saying that and respect her wishes. When you are 18 for the rest of your life - let's say you live to be 80 so that would be 62 years, you will be free to do whatever you want. Enjoy your youth while you have it, respect your mother's wishes, and stay in school and get the best education you can get. Life is going to try to kick you to the curb so you need to be ready for it. You are lucky that you have a mother who cares enough about you to try to protect you. Appreciate her while you can.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.