Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oregon on
Q: Is Rogers v. Saylor, OR Supreme Court, 760 P.2d 232 (1988) still caselaw in Oregon? If not, what superceded it?

I'm just wanting to be certain that this precedent has not been overturned, and if it has, by what case(s)?

Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer answered on Dec 29, 2020

I appreciate your question. My research of the case, reveals that Rogers v. Saylor, 306 Or. 267 (1988) has not been overruled or negatively treated on appeal, even though it has been cited in 37 subsequent cases.

The case discusses the the limitations on individual or governmental liability...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Rights, White Collar Crime and Wrongful Death for Oregon on
Q: When is abandonment legal?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Dec 12, 2020

An Oregon attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for two weeks. But as a general note, "abandonment" is a broad term and needs more context. Abandonment can arise in a number of scenarios, whether in shameful settings, as in children, spouses, or pets, or in more... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: I was living in a house in authority of Jackson county apartment complex with a VAWA voucher And I am also fully disable

I had my home broken into repeatedly in my car stolen from the parking lot and now they’ve served me with addiction notice because I’m a victim again how is that fair ? I did file online a formal complaint with the housing and urban development and they called me to see if it’s their... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 23, 2020

An Oregon attorney could advise best, but you await a response for three weeks. Do you mean an EVICTION notice? Read it more carefully. If that's the case, repost this under Landlord-Tenant law and hopefully an experienced L-T attorney could offer meaningful guidance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oregon on
Q: Is this a violation of civil rights?

Can a store deny entry to someone who has a legitimate medical condition for not wearing a mask, who's doctor agrees that wearing a mask would cause this person harm, and is receiving disability for this condition?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 9, 2020

An Oregon attorney could advise best here, as this could involve state measures, as well as federal measures, arising as a result of the pandemic. But the post remains open for two weeks - it's possible an attorney with insight into ADA and disability issues could have better insight into this... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Oregon on
Q: To force Police to provide as FOIA on a closed murder case how can i find a person to do that in Oregon

Murder 2013 solved audio and CCTV from Police is wanted

Gabriel A Watson
Gabriel A Watson answered on May 16, 2020

FOIA requests can generally be made by any person to any federal agency, but requests can also be denied for any number of reasons. If you are requesting information from a local police department, this is often done using a public information request.

Unfortunately, although anyone can...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: In Oregon we have a ban on events of 25 or more. Would an event location with room for 3+ feet between people work?

Here is an how i see it

4. [...] I am prohibiting[...] gatherings of 25 people or more. This prohibition applies statewide.

5. [...] this Executive Order include, but are not limited to, any[...] events or activities, if a distance of at least three (3) feet between individuals... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 20, 2020

In light of the moment-by-moment changes being made to federal, state and local laws as all the governments try to handle all aspects of the Corona virus pandemic sweeping the world I have decided not even to try to answer any of the scores of "what if" questions being posted by askers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Can I get arrested for going behind my moms back and hanging out with a guy my mom doesn’t like?

My mom banned me from hanging out with my best friend and she says if I do hang out with him, she’ll call the cops and have me arrested.

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 9, 2020

The police don't arrest people for associating with other people. It isn't a crime. However you can be taken into custody if there is some other reason, ie a law you are violating. Frankly, if your mom wants you to avoid someone assume she has a good reason for saying that and respect... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Q: how can i find a lawyer to talk to about defamation in workplace, discrimination and harassment occurred within 7 mos

too many to list, but pertains to inaccurate fmla hours calculated, false notations and accusatory notes, ada accommodations after fmla exhausted, discrimination, 2 month delay plus in begining interactive process, continueal repeatitive documented denial of accommodation without undue hardship and... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Dec 12, 2019

You should consult an employment attorney related to potential violations of the Family Medical Leave Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Defamation claims are state-law specific, subject to limitations imposed by rights contained in the First Amendment. You should narrow your focus to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Construction Law for Oregon on
Q: Can the city be held responsible for damages to my water heater from not notifying us when they said they would?

They have been doing work on water mains for over a month and we got 1 letter saying they would let us know when the water would be off but we have not been notified a single time out of dozens and our water heater ran dry multiple times and now is not working properly, i even emailed the city... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 9, 2019

The cost to litigate such a case could exceed the replacement costs to the heater. If other residents in your area also sustained related damages, that could help spread legal costs. That could be something to look into before consulting with a local attorney. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Q: Today, sixteen years later, I found out I was molested and have written proof from the molester can I press charges
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Nov 4, 2019

Oregon law allows allows a victim of child sexual abuse to bring a lawsuit at any time until the victim turns 40 years old or 5 years after the victim knew or should have known of the causal connection of the injury and the child abuse, whichever is later. You should contact an attorney as soon... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Are CPS workers allowed to refuse to give a parent a UA if they ask for one?

My son was in the care of someone else while I was at home packing our belongings to flee from a bad situation that I did not want him around. While he was with the other individual he ingested narcotics and almost died. I met him and the person providing care for him at the hospital and the next... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Nov 3, 2019

This is too complicated to figure out based on your brief synopsis. You need to contact an Attorney who can both review your details of what happened and review the court records. A reunification plan is only when there is a juvenile court proceeding and in a juvenile court proceeding you would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Moved in May 2018: can landlord terminate my 12 month lease for Weekend Visitation w/ 7yr old daughter.

I received an email asking whether or not a small child lives in my house. We have we can visitation with my husband 7 year old daughter. Landlord commanded custody agreement paperwork be given to her for her examination. Upon receiving she emailed all responses to her conclusion of terminating... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on Sep 29, 2019

Whether a landlord can prohibit further visitation likely depends upon the exact wording of your lease. Even if they can, your posting raises questions as to whether they are trying to terminate your tenancy lawfully. Consider reviewing both issues with a local landlord-tenant attorney to learn... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Oregon on
Q: my brother killed himself with his girlfriends gun, she left it out. Her ex killed himself too. she didnt call the cops

is there anything we can do to make sure there is not a third person this will happen to

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Sep 28, 2019

This isn't a legal question. However using common sense would go a long way to prevent such tragedies. You and the surviving members of your family should either get rid of any guns you have in your homes or be a responsible gun owner and get a secure gun safe and store you guns there. If... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Dtatus Quo Order not being follows by wife. Nothing I can do?!

She left 08-01-19 and took out son to her parents over 60 miles away. A week later I submitted the paperwork I needed to and included a motion for Status Quo. That was signed as an order 08-12-19. Her lawyer was given copy in court (had court for Ex Parte which was dismissed) and was told by the... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Sep 15, 2019

Your lawyer should set a date for a hearing to determine temporary custody and temporary parenting time. But it is likely that your wife will also ask for temporary child and spousal support. This isn't just about her moving to her parents house. It is about transitioning from married to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Q: What is considered evidence for pet theft.

Someone says they walked your dog and he got away. 2 months later and still no sign of dog. Flyers posted craigslist and fb postings. Checked dog shelters.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Sep 3, 2019

What could be considered evidence is something that depends on the circumstances. In your case, it seems that you would need something to prove that they had your dog, or control of your dog, after the time they say it ran away. Were they seen with the dog? Are they advertising a dog for sale? Is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Oregon on
Q: Im needing help with a few civil issues.
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 19, 2019

More details would be needed here for an attorney to respond - at least some basic information about the type of matter involved. Or if it is something you don't wish to post on a public forum, you could contact attorneys in your area directly. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Business Law and Civil Rights for Oregon on
Q: Can a plaintiff in a civil lawsuit transfer the suit to someone else?

If someone buys a property and later you find out that an issue was not disclosed. You file a lawsuit and then you decide to sell the property in dispute. Can you transfer the lawsuit to the new buyer? Can you add their name to the suit and remove yourself?

Daniel DiCicco
Daniel DiCicco answered on Jul 24, 2019

Short answer: you can do this. Long answer: it’s complicated to do this and how to go about it it all depends on what’s going on.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: Can police lie to you to gain entry to your home?

If it is not legal do them to do so is the evidence they locate admissible?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Jul 16, 2019


3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Oregon on
Q: A car drove into the side of my house what can I use the driver for? It scared my grandchildren my pets and my family
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jun 8, 2019

You can sue the driver for the damage to your house. Emotional damages (pain and suffering) can only be requested by a person who was physically injured.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon on
Q: My landlord said his RV he's renting me is illegal. I believe laws are being broken with illegal thing, power sewer&more

The RV septic connected to the other RV septic that connects to the main house. It fills up and sewer runs under the RV below. I never see a power meter man come read my meter and he chooses to charge me anything over 50 bucks used. How does he know how much I should pay just by looking at my... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott answered on May 31, 2019

You may well have claims against your landlord but you will need to review it all with a local landlord-tenant attorney to know for sure and exactly what. The obvious solution, however, is for you to simply move - something you are likely going to have to do before long anyway if your set up truly... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.