Boise, ID asked in Family Law and Child Support for Idaho

Q: divorce decree says she pays 30% of all medical bills, how do I go about billing her for her portion.

according to my divorce decree my ex is supposed to pay 30% of medical bills, I have paid over 6K in ortho bills for our kids, I want to give her a bill for her portion of it. can I just write up something and have it notarized with a copy of the paid bills?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Yes, that's exactly how you do it. Send her an email and attach a copy of the ortho bill and ask her to please pay 30% of it. It is not necessary that you have anything notarized. You simply need to ask your ex to pay it, by supplying her with a true and correct copy of the entire bill and give her copies of all records she asks for. The final thing I'd say: make sure that your Decree gives you the right to incur $6,000 in orthodontic bills without getting your ex-wife's consent? If not, you may be in trouble. Most agreements I draft have a provision that allows the parent who happens to have custody at the time, to incur NOT MORE than $500 in medical bills without getting the permission/consent of the other parent, or going to court and getting the Court's permission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.