Idaho Child Support Questions & Answers

Q: If my wife has 50/50 custody but only actually takes <20% custody, can I get out of paying child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Answered on Mar 14, 2019
Kevin M Rogers' answer
Everything you have stated tells me that there is NO court order for child support, correct? If there is NO order then you would have a case in Small Claims Court to get back the difference between what you've actually paid and what the child support calculator says, but a different judge MIGHT say that what you've paid is a "gift," on behalf of your child. It's always best to go to court and let the court set a payment consistent with the Child Support Guidelines.

Q: Already paying for my 2 kids child support and now might be a dad with girlfriend and want to know how is that handled

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Idaho on
Answered on Nov 12, 2018
Kevin M Rogers' answer
The Idaho Child Support Guidelines make provision for child support being paid to children of another relationship. It's not a dollar for dollar reduction to current child support, but is is taken into consideration.

Q: My Fiance wants to give up rights to 4 of his 6 children but wants to adopt my 5 year old. Will he still be able to?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Idaho on
Answered on May 24, 2018
Kevin M Rogers' answer
That's a really good question. Adoption is not a misterial act by a judge. It requires a Petition for adoption and the Magistrate WILL examine the Petition, which includes all kinds of information and the question probably will come up at some point: why would you want to adopt someone else's children but refuse to support and love your own? Moreover, a natural parent is legally unable to voluntarily give up the support of his natural children unless there is a new man in the picture...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.