Lafayette, LA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Probate and Social Security for Mississippi

Q: I have a step sister who has my father's power of attorney and he has passed away. She is saying she is also incharge of

his estate. I have never seen his will or anything. She claims he has a lot of debt. She is wanting my social security # because she cashed his check for December the month he died. She states she needs that so they can take the funds out of the estate. Thank You Annette

1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: The only way that she can legitimately be put in charge of the estate is if she already filed the paperwork with a chancery court and the court appointed her as the executrix over your father's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.