Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Arizona

Q: I’m dating a 18 year old and I’m 17 and my parents want to put him in jail can they do that?

Me and my boyfriend were dating for three months prior to him turning 18. Recently, we were at my house and were messing around play fighting and he accidentally damaged my room causing my mom to believe that he hits on me. I dismounted the allegations and she now wants to end my relationship and to do so she wants to send him to jail or put a restraining order on him if he gets even close. Can I prevent that and can she legally send him to jail?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: First, if he ever DOES physically, emotionally, or mentally abuse you; leave and do not look back. You deserve better. Period.

You ARE considered a minor in Arizona, but the fact that he is less than 2 years older than you and under the age of 19 makes it almost certain the prosecutor would not charge him EVEN IF you two were having sex which, is beyond what you have mentioned in this post.

It appears you are living in your parents home. It is THEIR property. They can tell your boyfriend he is not welcome in their home and request law enforcement assistance should he trespass.

You will be 18 in less than a year and "all grown up." Do not get in too big a hurry. Not to be rude, but you should really be focused on completing your education and trying to better yourself. There are too many grammatical errors in your question to count. If this were a job application, you would be in the "NO" pile.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.