Toms River, NJ asked in Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for New Jersey

Q: How to find a Attorney who will protect the rights of a patient who is handicapped in ICU and misdiagnosis and care

My son has been in two hospitals for a total of three months. He is handicapped mentally and delayed. The doctors still can not diagnosis the reasons for his fever spikes. He has gone on a downward medical path. He acquired a collapsed lung, 3 pneumonia, bed sores and with all the testing the doctors aren't finding out the underlying cause. He stopped talking and they don't shave him. Had to have his expanding bed sores debrided 3 times. They released him prematurely this week to a sub acute facility only to have them send him back because he was not ready. With all this improper care I feed he needs protection and someone has to be responsible for these events that are causing him to decline

1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to call around and attorney cannot call you as that is called solicitation. That being said the best part of the case is probably the bed sores or non/mis diagnosis. Bed sores should never occur in a patient that cannot move themselves. Generally bed sores occur because of the following acts of negligence:

The staff does not move the patient at least once every two hours

The hospital does not use pressure-relieving mattresses

The staff does or did not provide cushions to relieve some pressure

Too much moisture and the staff does or did not change the clothes and bed sheets of the patient enough to reduce said moisture

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.