Fort Myers, FL asked in Child Custody for Florida

Q: We asked custody of a child in NY, and now they want a home study to give us the permanent custody. I live in Fl

The court put the kids on foster home and now they gave the parents under supervision for 12 months the 2 other children. We applied for the permanent custody of 3 children but the judge will give us the permanent custody of the oldest one but they need a home study. I don't understand this, because home study is for adoptions or foster care not for custody. Please, what can we do? Thanks, Daisy

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The court may request a home study for the best interest of the child, specially if the child is leaving the NY jurisdiction. I suggest that you schedule a consult with a family law/dependency attorney to answer your questions in detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.