Denver, CO asked in Animal / Dog Law for Colorado

Q: Can my friend take her dog, legally?

My friend is moving out of her negligent parents' house. She's almost 20. She's paid for everything with the dog, paid the adoption fees, paid for vet costs, etc. She's wanting to re register the dog's microchip information to herself, (it's presently in her father's name) and take the dog with her when she moves out because the dog is fearful, and her parents are borderline abusive. She's worried the dog will bite someone and her parents won't bother trying to continue socializing it, or may dump her somewhere, or abuse the dog. Can she take it with her when she moves out? Isn't it her legal property if she's paid for it? She still has all the receipts.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If she paid for it, she has a strong argument the dog is hers. As for the microchip, it's usually company policy that they won't change the name of the person on the microchip without consent from the primary account holder, which, it sounds like, is her dad. She can take the dog with her since she paid for it, but she should prepare herself for some retaliation from her parents, if they believe the dog is theirs. If her name is on the adoption paperwork/purchase paperwork, then she has an even stronger argument the dog is hers.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.