Asked in Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: If my rights to my child was termanated by court do i have to pay child support if not how do i take care of it

I was living on the streets never even knew they took my rights and never even knew i had child support until i filedfor taxes and they took my return if my rights were taken then i dont think i have to pay but while i was in prison and the last year i been out the payments have been pileing up how do i get my payments stoped and maybe my money returned from them takeing my taxes

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If your rights were terminated child support only stops if the child is adopted. Any past due support would still be owed. You should contact an attorney to help you get to the bottom of this so you know where you stand. I wish you the best of luck with this matter.

Melissa Oxford agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.