Hilliard, OH asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Mother has been listed as abandonment my husband and I want to get full custody which is currently with grandmother

Husband wants to file for full custody of 10 year old son. His biological mother abandoned him almost 7 years ago and paternal grandmother took custody because father was not financially stable at the time. Need to figure out first steps in getting custody back from grandmother when the mother is not involved

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Xenia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: In Ohio, typically the court that first decides custody rights of a child retains jurisdiction to decide custody matters involving that child going forward. That means, whatever court granted the grandmother custody is likely the court anything you wish to do will need to be filed in. In Ohio, courts will look for a "change in circumstance" meaning something that is different now than the last time it made a ruling before it will change custody. But, even if there is a "change in circumstance" you would still have to convince the court that changing custody is in the "best interest" of the child. Before filing for custody or taking any other legal steps, I would advise you speak with a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.