Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Michigan

Q: What to do about court fines and warrents.

I got in trouble with the law 6 years ago. I did not pay those court fines. Due to not being able to. Now I have a greatjob that pays me really well. I would like to pay them off however I have a warrant for my arrest because of those fines. Right now at my job we are on mandatory 7 days if I miss a day I get fired. But now it's come to a point in my life where I need to handle this to move forward.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bloomfield Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not enough information. I don't know whether you are talking about traffic fines, misdemeanor fines, and costs, or felony. I don't know your prior history, whether you have a long record of cases and failure to appear. Many factors enter the equation. Don't mess around. Hire an attorney and make a plan.

You'll need to contact each court(s) where you have had a case. Find out if there is a bench warrant to find out how much is owed. Pay all fines, costs, and restitution before you go to court. You may want your attorney or a family member do this. Get a receipt.

Your attorney will want to schedule a time for you to appear in court to be arraigned on the bench warrants. Talk to your employer, you should take vacation/personal time for that day. Go to court at the time it sets or on the date and time they do arraignments on bench warrants. Take proof that all fines, costs, and restitution have been paid in full. The Court may take you into custody but it should set bail. You'll need enough cash to post it or you should talk to a bail bondsman and make a plan to have the bondsman ready to post bail the same day or take enough cash to pay your bail $5,000.00 minimum.

Don't do it without first consulting an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.