Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: When we sell the condo, would I be able to get the 50% of the value of the condo that my mom agrees to for a long time?

My parents were divorced when I was 14. However, my dad came back in our life at one point. He offered to put down half the down payment for a purchase of a condo in my mom’s name in 2007 as a redemption and to help me through college. Both my mom and dad put down $140000 for a $305000 condo. My dad continues to pay for all the bills (mortgage, taxes, association fees, electricity, and etc) for the next few years. However, he got sick at one point and had to stop paying due to job loss. Therefore, I ended up taking over all the bills and mortgage payments. My mom told me that I should continue to pay for all the bills until the condo is pays off, then we will split 50/50 on it when we sell it. Hence, She added my name to the condo via a quit claim deed in 2012 with both names under joint survivorship. Fast forward to now, I’ve discovered my mom is a narcissist that will use anyone to their last penny. There is one more year until I pay off this condo. She threatens to kick me out.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If the condo was solely in your mother's name, and if the 2012 deed to which you refer was recorded in the Recorder's Office, then you are entitled to 50% of the net proceeds if it is sold. If the deed wasn't recorded or doesn't get recorded, you need to talk to a lawyer ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.