Asked in Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: I am 15 can i go to detention for assult and battery even tho i was assulted also ?

I am 15 years old i got into a altercation with my mother for assult and battery but the judge dosent know that she hit me in the head with a metal object during the altercation and my grandma had to take me to the hosptial because i had a knot... Even tho i was assulted also in that situation wat is gonna happen wen i go to court ( i have paper work from my doctor for the knot ) ive been to court 2 years ago for truency but thats about it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: There are a number of factors that go into answering your question. However, most importantly sounds like you need to talk to a lawyer to adequately present your defenses to the court. If you were acting in self-defense, you may need help presenting that argument to the judge. You can ask the court to appoint you an attorney if you can't afford one or your parent will not get your one. Many lawyers in your area more than likely hold free consultations where you can sit down and get a better idea of what will have in your particular area. You could go to detention for this charge, yes, but hopefully based on what you've said here you can fight the charge. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.