Seattle, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My landlord entered my house while I was away on a work trip, they did not call me.

I was gone for a work trip for 3 days. While on my flight on my way home, I received a notification that my Ring alarm was going off and that there was entry through my front door. I texted my boyfriend and had him call the police for me since I didn’t have the ability to call while in flight. The police found a 24hrs notice of inspection taped to the front door from my landlord. They did not call, text, or email me. I had no idea this “inspection” was going to happen and I am very emotionally shook up. Today is Wednesday and their office closed at noon, but they tripped my alarm at 3pm. They also did not reach out to me after tripping my alarm. Is there any action I can take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your consternation is understandable but IF they posted the notice on your door at least 24 hours before they actually entered, it most likely is legal since posting it on your main entrance door is a lawful way of serving you with the notice. Want to avoid a repeat in the future? When you leave town, post your own note on the front door telling the landlord not to enter until after you get home and arrange it with you. Then if he enters in contravention of your note, you likely would be entitled to recover a month's rent for each such unlawful entry.

Katherine Goodman agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.