Oklahoma City, OK asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Will I have to deal with probate court?

I am an only child, my father is not married and has a will. Both our names are on the deed to his house (money still owed on his home), I am designated beneficiary on his life insurance. As well as beneficiary upon death on his bank accounts. His bank accounts are fairly large, over $100,000. I was told that the only thing to keep me safe from dealing with probate is a living trust. And if the money is spent to do a trust I would be executor and beneficiary, which I already am in the will. I have researched this and am still not quite clear on if I will have to deal with probate once he passes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: The real issue is creditors, since you are an only child. Are you on the mortgage, then that doesn't need to be probated. The life insurance does not need to be probated. The bank accounts are a different issue. It depends. What you really want on the bank accounts is to be the person on a POD (pay-on death) assignment, not a beneficiary. You can check with the bank and ask if they will need a probate court order to receive the money from the accounts if you are the beneficiary, or a death certificate by itself will be enough. If yo are not not he mortgage, then you will most likely have to go through probate for the house. In my opinion, I would create two RLTs (revocable living trusts). One for each of the bank accounts, with your father being the grantor and trustee, and you as the beneficiary. This will also hide the transfer of the money from prying eyes. The house is a little more complex because of the mortgage. Most mortgage companies will require you to refinance to put it into trust, which most times is more costly than it is beneficial. In my opinion, you are almost better off leaving the house as part of the will, and handling it through probate. It should be simple given no other outstanding debt. Happy to help with the trusts and any question. It is not an expensive endeavor. 918-884-7791 Boeheim Freeman Law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.