Akron, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: All the money I had was used for oving expenses when I moved in on 12/13, but I needed to pay another full month on 1/1

The last couple weeks of the year are really bad at work for business and I couldn't pay on time. The last couple weeks have been better and was planning on paying what I owed this Monday 1/20, but I came home from work today and found an Eviction Notice on My door saying I need to vacate the premises by 1/21... So I'm pretty scared.. I have No where to go.. I like where I live and don't want to leave but now I'm being told I have to... Money was just Really tight for a couple weeks from work.... What can I do to Not be Evicted??? I just moved in... I want to stay..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The only thing you can do is try to work it out with landlord. But landlord does not have to agree, and can proceed with the eviction. If a tenant is facing money problems, it is always better to tell the landlord ahead of time, and try to avoid this. For non-payment of rent, landlord posts the notice to vacate, and after 3 days, can file the eviction. A hearing will be scheduled a couple weeks later, the court is almost certain to order the eviction and give tenant 7 days to get out, or the sheriff will come and tenant will be escorted out, and all belongings will be taken to the curb. Try to work it out with landlord, find another place to go, and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to check if landlord is following the proper eviction process. If so, then you will likely be evicted. Also check with any local housing agencies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.