Zanesville, OH asked in Child Support for Ohio

Q: I agreed to $0 child support a year ago in ohio and filed a modification, what is my chance of winning. org obl. was 600

joint custody

I thought we made the same amount of money, right after court he got a large raise and his taxes do not add up to what he put on original form.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony C. Satariano
Anthony C. Satariano
  • Xenia, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It will depend on several factors. Primarily, Ohio Courts must look for a "change in circumstance" when deciding if child support should be adjusted. This means they will evaluate if the current circumstances are so different from when $0 support was agreed to, that the support amount needs to be changed now. Your child's father's income increase could potentially qualify as a "change in circumstance" if it is large enough. Similarly, if he lied to or materially mislead the court on financial filings in the initial case, then finding that information out now could potentially be a "change in circumstance". It is however nearly impossible to tell you a specific "chance" of winning. I suggest consulting a family law attorney on this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.