Sandy, OR asked in Employment Discrimination for Oregon

Q: My employer told me that I should not come to work after taking my prescirbed medication.

I told her I didnt think she could do that. I also told her that I was going to start sending out resumes. She called me into her office and presented me with my last check and told me her attorney would be contacting me with a severance package. I asked her if she was firing me and she said no, that she is excepting my resignation. I didn't resign and I dont have a job. I haven't been contacted by her attorney yet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Merrick
Jeff Merrick
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukie, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You, too, ought to get a lawyer.

Your question raises issues of whether your medical condition or any disability caused her to prevent you from going to work. Did they try to work with you about your medication.

Also, it raises the question of the real reason she wanted to get rid of you.

You ought to request your personnel records immediately. They can wait 45 days to give them to you (assuming you are employed in Oregon)

They will be presenting you with a waiver of rights in exchange for additional money. You will want a lawyer to analyze the value if any claims you might have to decide on their offer.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.