Indianapolis, IN asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: My ex and I share joint legal & physical custody of our daughter. Whose address is her legal address?

Our divorce decree does not state whose address is her legal address. My address is used for health insurance as I carry it and her dad's address is used for school. She will be getting her license soon and we are not sure what address should be used.

1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: You should consider modifying the decree to explicitly state the Child's formal address. This could continue to cause problems down the line.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.